Here’s a post I wrote back in July 2006. Amazing how little my philosophy has changed since then, despite embracing agile.
If you are new to the profession, here’s my top 5 ‘laws’
* If you are not busy, you’re missing something.
* A PM is only as good as the people he has working for him. Treat them that way.
* Project Management can be broken down to just two major tasks – risk management and people management. Everything else – planning, tracking, resourcing, budgeting, change management, etc. all fall into one or both of those two categories. Think of everything in terms of what risk it represents to the project or the project team.
* You can control the products and activities required by your project, but you cannot control the people. Don’t try.
* A Manager’s job is not to make people work, but to make it possible for them to work (Peopleware – De Marco & Lister).